How To Hire The Best General Contractor
Struggling to find enough bathrooms in your home? Is your poorly designed kitchen impossible to use, or just an eyesore? Don’t dive into renovations without doing your research on hiring the best general contractor in Lakeland. By taking the time to do your homework, you will save yourself time, money, and unneeded stress. Remember, the best general contractor will take the time to listen to your needs and wants. Devising a plan that fits your unique budget and timeline. So, how do you find the best general contractor? Read on to get Sharrett Construction’s advice choosing a great general contractor.
Why Use A General Contractor?
If you want your project to run smoothly, hiring a proficient general contractor is a must. They will manage operations, especially with specialized professionals like carpenters, plumbers, electricians, and possibly engineers. A general contractor will also create the design for your construction project and provide a reliable estimate. At Sharrett Construction we have perfected our management skills with over a decade of dedicated service focused in Lakeland, Florida, and the immediate surrounding areas.
Hiring The Best General Contractor: What To Look For
When you begin looking to hire the best general contractor, there are a variety of qualities you should seek. We recommend following these guidelines:
- Define your project as clearly as possible. Use the internet, drawings, and magazines as tools. Write down information such as preferred materials, colors, or concepts, to discuss with your potential contractor.
- Find out if your home has lead-based paint or asbestos. Both of these materials were commonly used in older homes and require special equipment and procedures to remove. In fact, all removal techniques for asbestos and lead-based paint must follow U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards. If any of these substances exist in your home, you can place your confidence in Sharrett Construction to handle them safely.
- Set a realistic overall budget. Decide how much you are willing to spend and what payments your family will be comfortable with. Your budget will be necessary when meeting with a general contractor.
Preparing to meet with a general contractor is easily overlooked. However, it is an extremely important step to take when considering a major construction project.
Hiring A General Contractor
- Research the best general contractors who have done projects like the one you would like to complete. Schedule consultations and meet with contractors. Ask for estimates as well as a detailed scope of services. Pay attention to what is included in each estimate, ask for clarification if needed.
- Ask your potential contractors about certifications and licenses they hold, as well as for references. Check each contractor’s references. Make sure they hold the certifications and licenses they profess to hold.
- Ask prospective contractors what type of insurance coverage they have to protect themselves, your family, and home.
Making Your Final Choice
Once you have found the best general contractor for your project, these are Sharrett Construction’s remaining pieces of advice:
- Have your preferred contractor make a punch list. This detailed report will list tasks that must be done before completion. Ensuring you are on the same page with your contractor and that the project will be running on a manageable timeline. A well-done punch list will include even minute tasks like cleaning up and finishing trim work.
- Request a contract, and review it thoroughly before agreeing on terms. Never sign a blank contract or one that is missing information. Do not assume items are included if they are not listed. Ask for revisions to the contract if needed. Once you are comfortable with your contract, sign it, and get ready for renovation for success!
- Document all steps of your project including all change orders, emails, and text messages. If a change is agreed upon in-person, write it down and if necessary ask your contractor to sign it. Remember to take photos during the construction process. This way there are questions about how business was conducted. Keep all proof of payments.
Hire The Best General Contractor In Lakeland, FL
Sharrett Construction is a tenured general contracting firm based in Lakeland, FL. We believe our relationship with you beings before any contracts are signed, and lasts long after the finishing detail is placed on your project. Lakeland, FL is our hometown. We are honored to help build the future and restore the past here and in the surrounding Central Florida area. If you are looking to renovate your home, need an addition, or are planning a new construction build, do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach us at (863) 840-9781 or email us to schedule a consultation. We look forward to earning your business and being the best general contractor for your project.