Who Should Use A General Contractor?
If you are planning a major construction project in Lakeland, FL or the surrounding central Florida area, you are most likely interested in hiring a general contractor. Whether you are looking into a multi-room home remodel, historic renovations, adding onto an existing property, or constructing an entirely new building from the ground up, you need to have a general contractor manage the project to ensure it goes smoothly through completion. However, before hiring anyone and beginning a major construction project, you should be aware of the responsibilities of a general contractor. At Sharrett Construction, we want to help break down both the day-to-day and overall job responsibilities that your general contractor should be handling. Read on to learn more.
Responsibilities of a General Contractor
A general contractor, also known as the main or prime contractor, is accountable for the daily production and management of your construction project. Seems simple enough, right? You could change your mind when you see all of the things that fall under the responsibilities of a general contractor. Without further ado, you can see the long (but not comprehensive) list of responsibilities of a general contractor below:
- Understanding the client’s goals
- Delivering a project bid or estimate that includes materials, labor, equipment, and overhead management costs
- Keeping the project on budget
- Filling & obtaining permits
- Timeline management, changes, and updates
- Communication with subcontractors
- Communication with property owner
- Managing personal staff/project managers
- Hiring vendors and subcontractors
- Verifying insurance and licenses for all those who require licenses for their trade work
- Schedule, manage and pay everyone involved in the project; including vendors, and subcontractors
- Providing worker’s compensation and insurance for the project
- Material ordering and prioritizing installation
- Renting required equipment
- Scheduling project inspections
- Ensuring final punch list is complete
- Provide cleanup services during and after project construction
- Enforcement of safety procedures
- Demolition if necessary
- Waste management and/or proper disposal of materials
- Paperwork (bills, invoices, payroll, etc.)
General Contractor Regulations in Florida
Orchestrating an entire construction project from beginning to end is complicated. As the project’s manager, the responsibilities of a general contractor include managing everyone and everything concerning the construction project. On top of this, general contractors in Florida have to adhere to the standards of our state.
Florida has some of the most vigorous rules and laws for a general contractor in the U.S., with requirements including:
- Being licensed by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation of the State of Florida.
- At least four years of experience, or a combination of certified construction education and experience.
- Proof of financial stability.
- Proof workers compensation insurance.
- A general contractor must provide proof of liability to satisfy the financial stability portion of the state’s process.
- Passing a state-level exam, covering the general contracting trade, as well as law, and business.
Hiring a General Contractor in Lakeland and Central Florida.
As you can see, the requirements and responsibilities of a general contractor in Florida are extensive. When dealing with a large construction project, it is best to leave it in the hands of the professionals. With that being said, finding a qualified, experienced, licensed general contractor in Lakeland, FL and the surrounding central Florida area can be daunting. At Sharrett Construction, our general contractors listen to your goals and evaluate your project, taking the utmost consideration when bringing your ideas into reality. Our wide range of construction services includes historic restorations, remodels, room additions and new construction for residential and commercial clients. To find out more, contact Sharrett Construction by calling (863) 840-9781 or schedule an appointment online.
Sharrett Construction has served the needs of our residential and commercial clients in Lakeland and Central Florida for more than 30 years.